A gap year is a great way to see the world, make new friends, and gain valuable life experience. Whether you take your gap year in Australia or India, these tips will help you to plan your gap year and ensure that it’s a fun, safe, and life-enriching experience.
Image by GustavoBuriola
- The first thing you need to do is decide where to go for your gap year. Argentina is a popular destination, as are New Zealand and America. Once you know where you want to go, you can start planning what you will do.
- Some people like to go backpacking on their gap year. Australia is a great destination for those types of gap year. Argentina is a good option if you want a varied experience where you get to explore many different activities and areas in one period.
- When you take a gap year in Argentina, you could have the option to do volunteer work, teaching, or just exploring. There’s something for everyone. Taking a gap year in Australia opens up some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.
- Wherever you go, make sure you have medical insurance sorted out, and that you have any immunisations you might need. Some immunisations must be arranged several months in advance – don’t put your trip, or worse, your health, at risk by putting off.
- Travel insurance is another must-have. If your trip gets cancelled, or you become ill while you are away, it could save you a lot of financial stress.
Image by GustavoBuriola
- Pack appropriately for the country you are going to. A gap year in Argentina will need different clothing to a gap year in Australia or India. Pay attention to the customs of the country, and pack things that will allow you to blend in.
- Be careful when taking valuables with you. In general, it’s better to travel light than to take things that you don’t need, and might get stolen.
- If possible, why not take your gap year with a friend – you will be able to provide each other with peace of mind and moral support.
- When eating food while abroad, try to stick to bottle water, fresh food, and well prepared meats – this isn’t so important for a gap year in Australia, but it could be for other countries where clean water is harder to find.
- Make photocopies of all your important documents and keep them in your luggage, wallet and hotel room, and also send them to some friends – you don’t want to get stranded in a foreign country!
If you follow the tips above then your gap year in Argentina, India, America, or wherever you choose to go will be a safe and enjoyable one. Hopefully, it will also be a great addition to your CV and an event you will remember for the rest of your life too.
Just remember, it’s your gap year, and you can make it into whatever kind of experience you wish.
About the Author
James Harper the author of the “Top ten tips for Gap year planning” writes on behalf of Sport Lived who can provide expert advice on a gap year in Australia and a gap year in Argentina. James enjoys travelling and writing on the subject.