5 Fun Family Things to do in Park City
When it comes to planning family vacations the big challenge is choosing a destination that offers a variety of activities that both kids and adults will enjoy. And if you’re thinking that theme parks are the only option, it’s time to pack your bags for Park City, Utah, a year round resort and mountain community with a host of attractions, naturally designed with families in mind. Still not convinced?
Here’s a list of 5 fun family things to do in Park City that you won’t find at any theme park.
1. Skiing: Yeah, this one’s kind of a no-brainer, being that Park City is known for its legendary snow.
From freshly powdered peaks to immaculately groomed runs accommodating skiers of all skill levels, Park City offers winter fun for everyone. And with a host of family-friendly accommodations to choose from, the fun doesn’t have to stop when you leave the slopes.
2. Alpine Slide: For families who prefer the thrill of speeding downhill in a warmer clime, Park City has plenty to offer long after the snow melts.
With over 3,000 feet of track laid out over a substantial vertical drop—and 4 different runs to choose from—the Alpine Slide offers a riding and gliding experience in the tradition of the luge. And being that kids over the age of 2 and under 48” can ride with an adult, more family members can participate.
Adults and older kids who are looking for a faster way to get down the mountain can take the Alpine Coaster or the Zip Line, while those who prefer a gentler journey can enjoy breathtaking vistas from the chairlift.
3. Olympic Park: Both winter and summer family vacationers alike will thrill to touring Olympic Park, the home of many skiing events in the 2002 Winter Olympics, such as Nordic jumping, luge, skeleton and the ever-popular bobsled.
Visitors at Olympic Park can take tour of the facilities, watch Alpine athletes in training and even take an unforgettable bobsled run, reaching speeds of up to 70 mph.
4. Meander Down Main Street: Boasting a wide variety of shops and eateries, Main Street is a must see on your Park City family vacation.
The kids will especially enjoy the Park Silly Sunday Market, which takes place every Sunday from mid-June thru late September and features an eclectic group of vendors and street performers, such as jugglers, stilt walkers and fire-eating femme fatales.
Cutting through Park City’s Historic District, and lined with 19th century buildings, Main Street offers visitors a glimpse of a bygone era once occupied by silver miners, boarding houses, and saloons—some of which, in their renovated state, are said to be haunted.
5. The Canyons Resort: Families looking to make the most of the mountain setting of Park City will find a wide variety of outdoor activities at the Canyons Resort.
From hiking, fishing, horseback riding, whitewater rafting, and hot air ballooning, to disc golf, gondola rides and peddle boating the Canyons Resort offers something for every member of the family.
And with a number of full-day and half-day summer camp activities for kids 6-12, along with the Little Canyons Child Care Center for children ranging from 6 weeks to 6 years old, adults can take time to pursue more adventurous activities, on the mountain, at the spa, or at Park City’s world-class outlet mall.
Ben Wright is a freelance writer for Park’s Edge Park City. Park’s Edge offers great real estate homes in Park City, Utah.